=TFC=
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

=TFC=

The Friendly Clan is dedicated to the enjoyment of the BF2 Game.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

AA problems

Go down 
+2
gblanco
InfamousClint
6 posters
AuthorMessage
InfamousClint

InfamousClint

Birthday : 1978-09-09

AA problems Empty
PostSubject: AA problems   AA problems Icon_minitimeSun Jul 11, 2010 4:57 pm

Hello, I play on your server pretty often.
I was kicked for AA being on, and eventually banned after returning 3 times and trying to get an admin to help me fix the issue. I have checked both my nVidia settings (set to Application controlled) and BF2 settings (set to off). I would like to sort this out as I enjoy playing at you guy's server.
I've had problems with AA in the past... For instance, when I tried to run BF2 @ 8x AA the ground (on wake) was all water. I noticed while monkeying with the settings that the AA setting is kind of glitchy in BF2, as I was able to eventually run at 8x after changing it back and forth several times. I can say with certainty though that it was turned off in both the game settings and the nVidia control panel when I was kicked/banned.
I've read over the forums and several people have the same story where their settings are correct yet the screenshots still come out black. I really think this is a bug and would like have an admin present while I try to get my screenshots to come out properly.
I was able to get the Ventrillo IP from the "how to set up Ventrillo" post, but it seems a password is required which I don't have. Is the server only available to members?
I totally understand the need to take screenshots to deter hacking and whatnot, but I have never used any types of hacks before and I made sure my AA was disabled when this occured. I also know it's our responsibility to make sure it's turned off but for people like myself who actually have it disabled, I would hope you folks would try to work with us to get it sorted.
BTW: I'm running Win7 Ultimate x64 with an 8800GTS 512 card.

Thanks in advance,
-ClintS0uthwood
Back to top Go down
gblanco

gblanco

Birthday : 1962-09-19

AA problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: AA problems   AA problems Icon_minitimeSun Jul 11, 2010 5:30 pm

InfamousClint wrote:
Is the Ventrilo server only available to members?

Yes

InfamousClint wrote:
I would hope you folks would try to work with us to get it sorted.
BTW: I'm running Win7 Ultimate x64 with an 8800GTS 512 card.

Let's see if any member knows how you can fix it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.thefriendlyclan.com
taco

Birthday : 1999-09-11

AA problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: AA problems   AA problems Icon_minitimeSun Jul 11, 2010 6:03 pm

maybe my dad know he knows alot with computers
Back to top Go down
jbuffethed

jbuffethed

Birthday : 1979-07-01

AA problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: AA problems   AA problems Icon_minitimeSun Jul 11, 2010 6:22 pm

Im in the same boat. Running Windows 7 64, but i have an ATI HD 5770. At the moment I get black B1 SS whether I have AA on or off. I cant stand playing with it off. Defeats the purpose of getting a good video card. I actually went back to XP 32 with all the same settings and all my SS were clean.

Now come to find out Im being accused of a hack with guys Ive been playing side by side with for 4yrs because my SS are Black B1. I dont know.
Back to top Go down

AA problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: AA problems   AA problems Icon_minitimeSun Jul 11, 2010 6:26 pm

What video driver are you currently using? Have you tried updating video drivers, or stepping back to older driver?
Back to top Go down
InfamousClint

InfamousClint

AA problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: AA problems   AA problems Icon_minitimeSun Jul 11, 2010 8:44 pm

There is another option in the nVidia control panel, called "AA - Gamma correction" which may be the culprit here. Mine is currently set to on, but I'm under the impression that this only takes effect when AA is actually enabled.

I haven't tried updating my drivers yet. RivaTuner shows my driver as version 97.45 (I think its actually 197.45). It's maybe 2-3 months old, I grabbed the newest one when I migrated to x64 to allow me to use all my memory. I try not to update the drivers unless I need to since it's caused me problems in the past, but I definatly will try updating it. The thing is, I want an admin to be online when I do this so they can verify my screenshots come out properly. I really have nothing to hide and want to make this work, but if I'm not willing to go back to a 32-bit OS if that is what is required. I have seen posts by others here who use 7 x64 and admins can see their screenshots so I think it's an intermittent thing. I realize this may not matter one way or another, but I can take a SS ingame and it comes out fine on this end.

jBuffethed: I feel your pain, and I agree BF2 (and BF2 mods such as AIX) look quite a bit better with it on. I suppose we are lucky that PB works at all with Windows 7. It didn't for the longest time. As I said in my post above - I've trouble with the textures before when I set it to 8x, but it seemed like if I followed this procedure:
turn 8x on - restart game - turn AA off - restart game - turn 8x on
it seemed to fix the texture problem. I could tell it was engaged also since I had much fewer "jaggies". I really think there is a bug in BF2 because my brother's new 5850 did the same texture thing when we put it in and put 8x AA on right off the jump. I'm pretty sure if I do the off-on-off AA trick it would make my screenshots visible. Would definatly be worth a shot. Also anyone who has some other tips I would be happy to hear them. Let's keep this thread alive and figure out how to remedy this problem for everyone who has it.

-ClintS0uthwood
Back to top Go down
jbuffethed

jbuffethed

AA problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: AA problems   AA problems Icon_minitimeSun Jul 11, 2010 8:45 pm

I just played a round with 8x off and my eyes are burning. Back on AA goes.
Back to top Go down

AA problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: AA problems   AA problems Icon_minitimeSun Jul 11, 2010 9:10 pm

You know I've never even turned AA on, maybe I should!
My eyes burn after every round, thought it was my aging eyes. LOL
Back to top Go down
killa420

killa420

Birthday : 1996-02-15

AA problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: AA problems   AA problems Icon_minitimeMon Jul 12, 2010 11:49 pm

maybe i should turn it on to lol my eyes burn
Back to top Go down

AA problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: AA problems   AA problems Icon_minitimeMon Jul 12, 2010 11:52 pm

I turned it on tonight for the first time and saw no difference. My eyes still burn
Back to top Go down
killa420

killa420

Birthday : 1996-02-15

AA problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: AA problems   AA problems Icon_minitimeMon Jul 12, 2010 11:53 pm

oh ok well shit
Back to top Go down
jbuffethed

jbuffethed

AA problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: AA problems   AA problems Icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 5:56 am

Ill take some SS with the difference. Mine are night and day. Either I have 8x on and smooth edges on everything or off with rigid edges on everything and burning eyes.
Back to top Go down
E641

E641

AA problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: AA problems   AA problems Icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 9:57 am

I am NOT a computer guru by any stretch of the imagination so here is my take on anti aliasing and screen shots.

1. This is a PRIVATE server paid for by mebers and guests who choose to contribute

2. We allow people to use anti aliasing to have what they think is the best picture for their computer while playing the game

3. If a group of Admins belive a player is either hacking or cheating to ANY degree or just being disruptive by their style of playing that that person gets banned permanently without further review

4. Since it is a PRIVATE server, we do not have to explain the actions of said Admins as to proving why a person has been banned as a hack or as a annoying player, just say that it has been determined for the betterment of the server that they not be allowed to play, end of discussion

5. This way we do not have to rely on screen shots to exclude someone from playing and disrupting the fun that we have had as friends for so long.

This is just my opinion and I do not hold majoroity vote, just putting it out there for discussion.

E
Back to top Go down
gblanco

gblanco

AA problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: AA problems   AA problems Icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 11:02 am

We can lift the ban so you can join the server and take screenshots to verify if the problem is fixed.
Back to top Go down
InfamousClint

InfamousClint

AA problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: AA problems   AA problems Icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 3:01 pm

I totally agree that the folks who pay for the server can/should run it however they see fit.
I personally can see a huge difference in picture quality with AA maxed out. BF2's graphics were never the best, even when the game was new, but it still offers a unique style of gameplay that hasn't been duplicated with any other game to date as far as I know. I hear BFBC2 is similar though. I believe this is why a lot of people still play it.

I don't know much from the admin side of things, but I've never been kicked for AA being on in the past (when it was enabled) and I was a little confused/upset when it happened since I didn't know that AA blocked remote screenshots. I am curious, do you guys take manual screenshots whenever you feel like it, or is it constantly being streamed to Punkbuster? I've been on a ton of servers that state they are "PB Streaming" but have never been kicked from any of them for AA being on or for having blank screenshots.

I just updated my drivers to the latest version, 257.21. Actually nVidia made some major changes in the new 257 series drivers which has broken a lot of functionality with 3rd party programs such as RivaTuner. Doesn't really effect me because I only use RivaTuner to ramp up my card's fan speed which fortunately still works.

e641: I'll throw in my own .02. I agree with and understand most of what you said below, but I think what you propose as far as not using the screenshots and just banning on suspicion could result in a server where all players who are fairly good would all get banned eventually. Basically, a watered-down server, and I don't think that's what you folks want. I was looking over the forum here and noticed a few names of good players that I have played with in the past who have been banned on suspicion. I think this had happened before your admins began vetting players using screenshots. As I said above, I think you guys can and should run the server however you see fit, but at least with screenshots if you do suspect something fishy, you could just pop in and take a screenshot and be certain that you aren't banning an innocent player. This is not to say you NEED any form of proof that someone is cheating to ban them, but I have seen a lot of great players in my many hours on the battlefield. I've also seen my share of people using hacks. Personally, I'm not good enough to be suspected of cheating, but I would hate to be thought of in that way if I had an exceptionally good round.

Just so there is no misunderstanding, again, I did have it set to off in both nVidia settings and BF2 settings when this occured. I'm not only posting here for my own benefit, I want you guys to realize that a lot of players probably do have AA disabled yet still produce blank screenshots.

gblanco: Thanks for lifting it. I tried to talk to the admin in-game while this was happening, but whoever kicked/banned me seemed to not want to help me fix the problem. I was kicked 2x, then banned the third time I rejoined. I kept rejoining because I wanted to fix it and was trying to talk to the admin but all my chats were ignored. How should I procede to check if my client is "clean"?

-c
Back to top Go down
E641

E641

AA problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: AA problems   AA problems Icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 3:58 pm

I am saying that we have played this game long enough to have a pretty good idea when someone is using a hack or enhancer and that there are the hacks/enhancers that are undetecable by taking screen shots.

I am the first one to say that there are alot better players out there than me and that I can take getting my ass kicked by anyone when it is just skill against skill but when I feel that someone is making miracle shots over and over then I have to raise the BS flag and start to question their skills.

That is my reasoning for my previous statement about banning those that a "group of admins " feels is playing beyond their potential.

E
Back to top Go down
gblanco

gblanco

AA problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: AA problems   AA problems Icon_minitimeWed Jul 14, 2010 12:48 am

InfamousClint wrote:
I don't know much from the admin side of things.

I have been dealing with hackers since a long time ago and I am admin in punksbusted.
I have seen everything.
There are tons of experiences I have and I cant discuss all of them here.

InfamousClint wrote:
I am curious, do you guys take manual screenshots whenever you feel like it, or is it constantly being streamed to Punkbuster?

I cant answer you this.

InfamousClint wrote:
I've been on a ton of servers that state they are "PB Streaming" but have never been kicked from any of them for AA being on or for having blank screenshots.

punksbusted or any other antihack service does not accept blank screenshots as proof.

InfamousClint wrote:
e641: I'll throw in my own .02. I agree with and understand most of what you said below, but I think what you propose as far as not using the screenshots and just banning on suspicion could result in a server where all players who are fairly good would all get banned eventually.

Not all good players, but maybe some innocents could be banned, we are aware of that.
That is why when we suspect if a player is hacking we ask other admins votes. A player suspect of hacking is not banned by one admin only.

InfamousClint wrote:
I was looking over the forum here and noticed a few names of good players that I have played with in the past who have been banned on suspicion.

The same good players we have been played in the past.
One of them banned recently by punksbusted for hack after playing in our server for a long time.

InfamousClint wrote:
I think this had happened before your admins began vetting players using screenshots.

Sometimes we dont need screenshots.
We always try to get a screenshot as a proof to report it to punksbusted, but we really dont need it.

InfamousClint wrote:
This is not to say you NEED any form of proof that someone is cheating to ban them, but I have seen a lot of great players in my many hours on the battlefield.

We have seen a lot of great players too.
You will never be 100% sure, who is good for real or using hacks, unless you are watching him playing in his computer.

InfamousClint wrote:
Just so there is no misunderstanding, again, I did have it set to off in both nVidia settings and BF2 settings when this occured.

Ban lifted, let's see if it is fixed now.

InfamousClint wrote:
I'm not only posting here for my own benefit, I want you guys to realize that a lot of players probably do have AA disabled yet still produce blank screenshots.

Of course, but, Are we going to trust a player saying he has his AA off ?

InfamousClint wrote:
Whoever kicked/banned me seemed to not want to help me fix the problem.

Normally, we kick players asking them to turn antialias off and most of the time they come back and screenshots are normal.
I think the game server is not the correct place to receive help and maybe we dont have all the answers.
After kicking you 2 times screenshots continued black, then a ban was issued and as you can see, you are here and receiving help.

InfamousClint wrote:
How should I procede to check if my client is "clean"?

Join the server, the screenshots will be taken as usual.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

AA problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: AA problems   AA problems Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

AA problems
Page 1 of 1