=TFC=
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

=TFC=

The Friendly Clan is dedicated to the enjoyment of the BF2 Game.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

SSD versus VelociRaptor

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
followmy6

followmy6

Birthday : 1950-01-01

SSD versus VelociRaptor Empty
PostSubject: SSD versus VelociRaptor   SSD versus VelociRaptor Icon_minitimeWed Aug 04, 2010 3:41 pm

In my computer build was looking at purchasing a new WD VelociRaptor whos price range anywhere between $150-$260
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136555

Or a Solid State Drive (SSD)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148357

What are your thoughts about which one is better. This drive is only for gaming as the load times vary depending on your hard drive for battlefield 2 & 2142 as well as many other games.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SSD versus VelociRaptor   SSD versus VelociRaptor Icon_minitimeWed Aug 04, 2010 6:41 pm

Buy two and run them in raid0 format!

I love the idea of SSD but it would seem they are still behind in the development stage. Some issues I just don't want to deal with.

From Tom's Hardware
7 does not support TRIM, so you'd have to get "The Intel SSD Toolbox" for the drive to "self-optimize." Also, with a AMD build, ACHI is not supported also (probably). You can do without ACHI, but it too helps...

For the money I would buy two enterprise drives and run them in raid0 format. If your motherboard supports it, if not then go for the SSD just remember you will ("probably") have to jump through some hoops to keep it running well.
I have been running in raid0 format since the first raptors 34.6 Gig. I have two 74 Gig raptors installed now and I promise you will load EVERYTHING faster in this configuration.

Back to top Go down
BigczaPoppa186

BigczaPoppa186

Birthday : 1977-10-08

PostSubject: Re: SSD versus VelociRaptor   SSD versus VelociRaptor Icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2010 4:17 pm

He is right about the Raptors in Raid 0. I also run an OCZ SSD drive in my laptop for multiple reasons. The SSD drive is great with boot and program loadtimes(not to mention quiet and a power saver) but sometimes they pause or freeze and the write speeds are slower than my raptors. The stable reliability WD has with their raptors has made my favor them a bit at the moment. However, I too would love to see two SSD's run in raid O benchmarked and run to see how stable they are in keeping a Raid array.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SSD versus VelociRaptor   SSD versus VelociRaptor Icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2010 4:34 pm

The SSD are to slow in flow for the moment they need to get up to atleast 6 gb per second....then they will be a nice upgrade.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SSD versus VelociRaptor   SSD versus VelociRaptor Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

SSD versus VelociRaptor
Page 1 of 1